Let’s face it: moving is hard. There are so many things to do, so many steps you need to take that the entire ordeal becomes stressful. Whether you’re simply moving into a new unit a few blocks away or into a completely different city, the steps you need to take and the factors you need to consider are pretty much the same.
It doesn’t help that New York City is such a huge and busy place. Time passes by in the blink of an eye and it can be easy to forget your move date if you aren’t careful. Therefore, you need to plan your move weeks or even months in advance to stay on top of things.
To make moving easy and efficient for you, we’ve compiled some tried-and-tested moving to New York tips you can try. We made sure to cover all the bases so you don’t have to worry about missing any steps! With that being said, feel free to check out the New York moving tips below.
Moving To New York Tips
- Prepare at least 6 weeks in advance of your move date, especially if you have a lot of belongings and furniture. You need to decide which ones to bring with you and which ones to let go—whether through disposal, donation, or sale.
- Create a binder or ledger of everything from your estimates to an inventory of the items you’re moving. This might seem like a lot of work, but you’ll thank us later when you’ll see how easy it is to keep track of things with a binder.
- Go through your apartment and start deciding which things are essential and which can be let go. Remember, you want to make your move less stressful, so the fewer items you’re taking with you, the easier they are to take account of.
- Divide your excess belongings for donation, for disposal, and for sale.
- Things that can be donated are clothing, other household fabrics, and toys. Things that need to be thrown away are things that you or anyone else have no use of. Things that can be sold are furniture, appliances, books, and other belongings that are too bulky to carry with you but are still useful.
- Start packing! It’s never too early to start packing, especially if you have a lot of stuff lying around. You need to make sure you have all of your belongings neatly packed away into boxes before your move date.
- Separate your important documents from the bulk of your belongings. It can be easy to misplace things during a move, so it’s crucial that you set aside things like your passport, birth certificate, insurance policies, and other pertinent documents in a safe and secure space that you can easily remember.
- Fill out the paperwork early. Belongings aren’t the only things you should be moving. Fill in the deed or certificates of insurance before your move day. Trust us, you’ll want to get that out of the way before your big day.
- Empty out what’s left in your cabinets, drawers, pantry, and refrigerator. Make sure there aren’t any perishables left inside your fridge.
- Finally, do a final sweep of your apartment. Ensure that you’ve got all of your important documents, furniture, clothing, and other things with you!
- If you have more things than you can handle, there’s no shame in hiring professional movers to do the heavy lifting for you.
Hiring A Pro Moving Company Is An Option
From planning and packing to unpacking and settling in, a professional moving company can make all the difference in your moving experience. Hiring a professional mover will definitely increase your chances of having an efficient and stress-free moving experience. New York City movers like Domestic Moving Company are here to assist you with all of your moving needs.
An experienced moving company will be able to address your concerns and provide you with a safe, fast, and efficient moving experience. This is why you’re in good hands with us at Domestic Moving Company. With over 27 years of experience, we have mastered every aspect of the moving industry. Our commitment to timely delivery is unmatched, coupled with a comprehensive planning process to provide you with the best moving experience. We make sure your move is completed safely and efficiently.